Tuesday 17 June 2008

Lets hear it for...

'This blessed plot, this earth, this realm. this ENGLAND.'

Can I be the only one who is fed up with all and sundry moaning and groaning about this wonderful country of ours? Yes, I know we have our problems but so do other countries, although they seem not to publicise them or put themselves down as we are wont to do. The press and other media whip up all the bad news stories and tell us about all the evil people, the skivers .

Maybe I wear rose coloured spectacles but I still belive that this is a great country to live in. I belive that there are far more good people than bad living here. As a general rule, we are still free to go where we want , when we want and to voice our opinions without fear of being shot or imprsioned. We are tolerant of other lifestyles, although maybe sometimes a little too much so!
No society is perfect, what a boring world if they were.

We have a rich and varied history and many famous, infamous , inventive characters now and in the past.

We have scenery, countryside , coasts , towns and cities to rival anywhere else in the world.

Without our ever changing weather (something that generates so much complaint) we wouldn't have the lush greenery and native wildlife that we see all around us. Endless sunshine in some other countries may seem like a dream but, how boring when it is day after day, week after week.
It's time to be more patriotic and fly the flag for this beautiful varied ( in all aspects) country.

2 comments:

Claudia said...

Hmmm... food for thought although of course I have the excuse that I'm not English.

I do like the place and tolerate a lot of annoying stuff because it's my home for now, but I do like wall-to-wall sunshine and never found it boring and in fact miss it like crazy. But it is what I'm used to!

There are a lot of nice things about England though and I agree with you that there are a lot of people that moan a lot. It could be a lot worse and freedoms should not be taken for granted.

But you know what? Moaners exist everywhere! I have yet to live in a place where people didn't constantly complain about something. Must be human nature.

Gin said...

I'm just fed up with the negativity . Oops, now I'm having a moan!! Why are we so embbarrased to be Patriotic?