Monday 2 March 2009

Grumpy Old Woman.

Just one of those days when you feel fed up just because you do. I'm going to have a moan so sorry to my 2 readers, bear with me I'm sure I'll be my normal cheerful self tomorrow.

At what age do people stop looking aghast when I say I don't go out to (paid) work ? When we had our girls it was our decision that the home and family would be my job. We have never claimed any money for our family other than the Child benefit. I have never regretted that decision and have loved and still love every moment spent with the girls and as a family. I have so many precious memories especially of things I would have missed had I left them in anothers care for a large amount of time,I have until 18 months ago worked part time for the last 15 or so years.Anyway in conversation over the weekend I got 'the' reaction. You know the one... WHATEVER DO YOU DO ALL DAY ?

Well I happen to be a fairly interesting person. I have hobbies and a home to keep. A garden to look after. Dogs to walk.. I sort out all the little things that life throws up . I run a craft club and attend others ( sometimes as the teacher) which often involves a good few hours of work in preperation. I cook meals from scratch most days . I keep an eye on our accounts and arrange our social life. If we entertain it's me that does all the extra work. If someone wants an errand run, who do they ask? I keep an eye on my elderly Dad ( not sure if he would like that term) and help out with his housework. When the girls were small, who helped at school? Who collected children because Mums and Dads we caught at work? Who was needed when other kids were poorly or in the holiday when they were stuck without child care?

Just because work isn't paid in money at the end of the month doesn't make it less important. If I did all these things and got paid for them the tax man would love me! It also means my husband has only to worry about his job and can relax when he comes home.

O K I'll stop now, you must be getting bored. Just having a day feeling unappreciated after a few days of not feeling too good .

Back soon in a happier mood. x

3 comments:

Lynsey said...

You should ignore people like that, I often get thrown that one too. Your cakes were fabby at the weekend. Thank you x

Anonymous said...

Mum, I feel your pain! I nearly fell off my chair on Friday when I told someone I didn't work. She said "Ohhh how fantastic, good for you" It left me speechless!

Claudia said...

Ah the eternal debate! But don't worry, those of us that DO work get the same weird looks, the same pitiful glances so basically one can't win. So make the choice that works for you and your family and let the naysayers naysay!